WHO stops research on Trump's touted "coronavirus" drug-Raw Story

The World Health Organization said on Monday that the clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine has been temporarily suspended, and as a preventive measure, the country has conducted potential treatment for COVID-19 in many countries.

WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a virtual press conference: A study in the "Lancet" magazine showed that the use of the drug in COVID-19 patients may increase the chance of death.

Tedros said that the so-called solidarity test executive group

"The executive group has implemented a temporary pause in the hydroxychloroquine arm in the unity, and hundreds of hospitals in some countries have recruited patients to test the new coronavirus. As a preventive measure, the drug has been suspended for trial.

The test was conducted while the safety data was being reviewed by the Data Safety Monitoring Board. "Tedros said.

"Other parts of the test he emphasized.

Hydroxychloroquine is commonly used to treat arthritis, but the announcement of public figures including US President Donald Trump (which prompted him to take this drug last week) Promoted the government to purchase the drug in large quantities.

The Brazilian Minister of Health also recommended the use of hydroxychloroquine and anti-malarial chloroquine for mild COVID-19 cases.

The lancet study found that both drugs may produce potentially serious Side effects, especially arrhythmia. [AstudybyLancetstudiedtherecordsof96000patientsinhundredsofhospitals

Tedros emphasized on Monday that “these two drugs are generally considered safe to use”, This shows that 19659002] neither of the drugs benefited COVID-19 hospitalized patients

WHO chief scientist Soumya Swaminathan said in a briefing on Monday that the WHO-supported solidarity experiment has been ongoing. She said, [19659002] The decision to discontinue the use of hydroxychloroquine for testing is “an interim measure.”

“We are only taking preventive measures,” agreed by WHO ’s Emergency Director Michael Ryan.

” "Dangerous assumption"?

The COVID-19 pandemic that broke out in China since the second half of last year has caused nearly 350,000 deaths and nearly 5.5 million infections worldwide.

Although there are still no approved new crowns Virus treatment or vaccines, but severe measures once blocked half of the people, which has reduced the rate of transmission in many countries.

Many countries have begun to gradually lift restrictions, and WHO stressed on Monday that it must keep up with actual evacuation measures. And increase efforts to test and detect cases.

"All countries should maintain high alert," WHO exp Maria Van Kerkhove emphasized, "Even countries with reduced cases must Keep it ready.

She warned that studies using antibody tests to determine how many people were infected and may have some immunity "showed that she said,

" If possible, the virus will take advantage of the opportunity to expand. "

Lai Ann agreed and urged countries to "continue to implement … a comprehensive strategy.

He warned that this epidemic may spread among natural seasonal fluctuations and emphasized that the cause of the spread is declining to ensure that we continue to follow Going down the trajectory and making sure that we do not have a second peak that appears immediately.

"What I am worried about now is that people may assume that the current rapid infection is a natural seasonality," he said.

Make assumptions, a downward trend, the next dangerous point is sometime in October or November, I think this is a dangerous assumption.

"If we reduce the pressure of the virus, the virus will rebound. "[他说。19659002] (AFP)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *